Are you tired of the same old boring vacations? Are you ready to shake things up and experience a new culture? Well, pack your bags and get ready to head to Cartagena, Colombia! This vibrant and lively city is the perfect destination for a fun-filled vacation, and May is the absolute best time to visit.
Welcome to The Journey Seeker! Find out all about Travel in May Cartagena, Colombia!
Atmosphere/Vibes in Cartagena, ColombiaOne of the things that makes Cartagena so special is its electric atmosphere. The city is filled with colorful buildings, lively music, and friendly locals. No matter where you go, you’ll feel the energy and passion of the people. Plus, with its rich history and cultural diversity, there’s always something new and exciting to discover.
Weather in May/JuneMay is the perfect time to visit Cartagena because the weather is just right. It’s not too hot and not too cold, so you can enjoy all the city has to offer without feeling uncomfortable. The average high temperature in May is around 90°F (32°C), and the average low is around 77°F (25°C). So, you’ll have plenty of sunny days to soak up the sun and explore the city.
Why Cartagena, Colombia is the Best Place to BeThere are so many reasons why Cartagena is the best place to be in May. Here are just a few:
- The food is amazing. From fresh seafood to traditional Colombian dishes, you’ll find something delicious around every corner. And with so many great restaurants to choose from, you’ll be able to try all kinds of new and exciting flavors.
- The beaches are beautiful. Cartagena is home to some of the most gorgeous beaches in the world. With crystal clear water and soft, white sand, you’ll feel like you’re in paradise.
- The nightlife is unbeatable. If you love to dance and have a good time, you’ll love the nightlife in Cartagena. The city is filled with lively clubs and bars, so you can party until the sun comes up.
- The culture is rich and diverse. From the historic old town to the modern neighborhoods, Cartagena has something for everyone. You’ll find a mix of Spanish, African, and indigenous influences, making it a truly unique destination.
- The people are friendly and welcoming. The locals in Cartagena are known for their warmth and hospitality. You’ll feel right at home in this friendly and welcoming city.
5 Reasons Why You Should Visit Cartagena, Colombia in May
- The weather is perfect. As mentioned before, May is the perfect time to visit Cartagena because the weather is just right. You’ll be able to enjoy all the city has to offer without feeling too hot or too cold.
- The prices are lower. May is considered the low season in Cartagena, so you’ll be able to find some great deals on flights, hotels, and activities. Plus, since there are fewer tourists, you’ll be able to enjoy a more authentic and local experience.
- The beaches are less crowded. Since May is the low season, the beaches won’t be as crowded as they are during the peak season.
- There are fewer crowds. As mentioned before, May is considered the low season in Cartagena, so you’ll be able to enjoy the city with fewer crowds. This means you’ll have more space to relax and explore, and you won’t have to wait in long lines for attractions.
- The city is in full bloom. In May, the city is filled with colorful flowers and plants, making it a truly beautiful destination. You’ll be able to enjoy the natural beauty of the city and take some amazing photos.
Cost of TravelThe cost of travel to Cartagena can vary depending on the time of year, your mode of transportation, and where you stay. However, as mentioned before, May is considered the low season, so you’ll be able to find some great deals on flights, hotels, and activities. You can expect to pay around $800-1000 for a round-trip flight from the United States, and you can find some great deals on hotels and Airbnb rentals starting at around $50 per night. As for activities, there are plenty of free things to do in Cartagena, like exploring the historic old town and visiting the many beaches. However, if you want to do more expensive activities like scuba diving or boat tours, you can expect to pay around $50-100 per activity.
Top 8 Things to Do in Cartagena, Colombia
- Explore the historic old town. Cartagena’s old town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is filled with charming colonial-style buildings and cobblestone streets. You’ll be able to visit landmarks like the Castillo de San Felipe, the Convento de la Popa, and the Iglesia de Santo Domingo, and you can also do some shopping at the many artisanal markets and shops.
- Visit the beaches. Cartagena is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and you’ll be able to find something for everyone. Whether you want to relax on the sandy shores or try your hand at water sports like snorkeling and kiteboarding, you’ll find it all in Cartagena.
- Try the local cuisine. As mentioned before, the food in Cartagena is amazing, and you’ll be able to find a wide variety of delicious dishes. Be sure to try some traditional Colombian dishes like bandeja paisa, arepas, and sancocho, and don’t forget to wash it all down with a refreshing agua de panela or a cold cerveza.
- Visit the Rosario Islands. The Rosario Islands are a group of small islands located just off the coast of Cartagena, and they’re a great place to escape the crowds and relax. You can take a boat tour to the islands and spend the day swimming, snorkeling, and lounging on the sandy beaches.
- Take a tour of the city. Cartagena is a vibrant and lively city with a rich history and culture, and there are plenty of tours available to help you discover all it has to offer. You can take a walking tour of the old town, a bike tour of the city, or even a food tour to sample some of the local cuisine.
- Experience the nightlife. As mentioned before, the nightlife in Cartagena is unbeatable, and you’ll be able to find a wide variety of clubs and bars to suit your style. Whether you want to dance the night away or relax with your feet up.
- Visit the San Felipe de Barajas Castle. The Castillo de San Felipe de Barajas is a historic castle located on a hill overlooking the city. It was built in the 16th century to defend the city from pirate attacks, and today it’s a popular attraction for tourists. You can take a guided tour of the castle and learn about its history, and you’ll also be able to enjoy panoramic views of the city from the top.
- Take a day trip to the Totumo Mud Volcano. The Totumo Mud Volcano is a unique natural attraction located about an hour outside of Cartagena. It’s a small mud volcano that you can climb up and then relax in the warm, therapeutic mud. It’s a fun and unusual experience, and it’s a great way to relax and unwind after a day of exploring the city.
ConclusionCartagena, Colombia is the perfect destination for a fun and exciting vacation, and May is the absolute best time to visit. With its electric atmosphere, beautiful beaches, and rich culture, there’s something for everyone in this vibrant and lively city. So, if you’re ready to shake things up and experience a new culture, book your trip to Cartagena today! You won’t regret it.
Have you maybe thought about staying in Cartagena for a little longer and working remotely? Here is another blog post about becoming a Digital Nomad in Cartagena
Did you like this post? Have a look at our other blog posts about living in Colombia, such as San Andres Island, Barranquilla or Medellin.