Welcome to The Journey Seeker! Find out all about Digital nomad in Surabaya, Indonesia!
Why leave the comfort of your own home, with its endless supply of snacks and Netflix, to go digital nomading in Surabaya, Indonesia? Because it’s the best place on earth, duh! Just ask the hordes of selfie-stick wielding tourists flocking to the city’s countless attractions. And if you don’t believe us, well, as they say in Surabaya, “Jangan coba-coba!” (Don’t try it!)
Atmosphere / Vibes
Surabaya has a vibrant atmosphere that will charm the pants off of even the most jaded traveler. The locals are friendly and welcoming, always happy to share a smile or offer directions (even if you don’t understand a word they’re saying). The streets are bustling with activity, from street vendors selling delicious snacks to motorbikes zipping by at seemingly impossible speeds.
Weather throughout the year
One thing you can always count on in Surabaya is the weather. It’s hot. Like, really hot. And humid. Like, really humid. But that’s part of the charm, right? Just make sure to pack plenty of sunscreen and a good pair of sunglasses, and you’ll be all set to enjoy the city’s sunny skies.
8 reasons why this is the best place for Digital Nomads
- 1. The food. Surabaya is a foodie’s paradise, with a rich culinary culture that will leave your taste buds begging for more. From street food to fine dining, there’s something for everyone here.
- 2. The cost of living. Surabaya is much cheaper than many other major cities, making it an attractive option for digital nomads on a budget.
- 3. The internet speed. Sure, it’s not on par with some of the more developed countries, but it’s good enough to get the job done.
- 4. The co-working spaces. Surabaya has a growing number of co-working spaces, offering a professional environment for digital nomads to work and collaborate.
- 5. The culture. Surabaya is a melting pot of cultures, with a rich history and a vibrant arts scene.
- 6. The nightlife. Surabaya comes alive at night, with a wide range of bars, clubs, and restaurants to keep you entertained well into the wee hours of the morning.
- 7. The proximity to other amazing places. Surabaya is a great starting point for exploring the rest of Indonesia, with many beautiful beaches, mountains, and temples just a short trip away.
- 8. The adventure. Surabaya is an adventure in and of itself, with a chaotic and colorful atmosphere that will keep you on your toes.
Top 8 Things to do
- 1. Visit the Suramadu Bridge. This iconic bridge offers stunning views of the city and the surrounding area.
- 2. Explore Taman Hiburan Rakyat. This amusement park has something for everyone, from thrilling roller coasters to mellow boat rides.
- 3. Visit the House of Sampoerna.
- 4. Take a stroll through Chinatown. Surabaya’s Chinatown is a vibrant and bustling neighborhood, with a unique blend of Chinese and Indonesian culture.
- 5. Visit the Museum Satria Mandala. This museum houses a collection of military vehicles and equipment, offering a fascinating glimpse into Indonesia’s history.
- 6. Go shopping at the Tunjungan Plaza. This massive mall has everything you could possibly want, from clothing and electronics to food and entertainment.
- 7. Take a tour of the Submarine Monument. This unique monument pays homage to the Indonesian navy and offers a glimpse into the world of submarine warfare.
- 8. Relax at the Surabaya Zoo. This sprawling zoo is home to a wide variety of animals, from lions and elephants to komodo dragons and orangutans.
Conclusion and Safety
Surabaya may not be for everyone, but for the adventurous digital nomad, it’s a veritable paradise. Just remember to take the usual safety precautions and to respect the local culture, and you’ll have the time of your life in this vibrant and dynamic city.
Wanna find out more about Surabaya than just digital nomads? Here is another blog post about the top 14 things to do in Surabaya
Did you like this post? Have a look at our other blog posts about living in Indonesia, such as Jakarta, Semarang or Medan.