Welcome, friends, to El Calafate, Argentina – the most absurdly delightful destination on the planet! Nestled amidst the breathtaking Patagonian landscape, this quirky little town is bursting at the seams with all sorts of hilarious and heartwarming adventures.
Welcome to The Journey Seeker! Find out all about best things to do in El Calafate, Argentina!
Atmosphere / VibesThe atmosphere in El Calafate is electric, to say the least. Picture this: endless blue skies, cascading waterfalls, and rolling hills as far as the eye can see. Now add in a hearty dose of Argentine culture, complete with tango dancing, empanadas, and the best dang steak you’ve ever had. That’s El Calafate in a nutshell.
Weather throughout the yearNo matter when you visit, you’re in for a treat weather-wise. The summers are warm and sunny, perfect for hiking, horseback riding, and soaking up the great outdoors. In the winter, the temperature dips a bit, but that just means you get to snuggle up by the fireplace with a mug of hot cocoa (or, let’s be real, a bottle of Malbec).
Why El Calafate, Argentina is the best place to beIf you’re the type of person who craves adventure, El Calafate is the place for you. There’s so much to see and do, from trekking through the Andes to boat tours of the breathtaking Lake Argentino. Plus, the people here are some of the friendliest and most welcoming you’ll ever meet. It’s like one big, loveable, absurdist family.
Cost of TravelEl Calafate may be a bit off the beaten path, but trust us, it’s worth the journey. The cost of travel varies depending on how you get here and where you stay, but there are plenty of affordable options to choose from.
Top 14 best things to do in El Calafate, Argentina
- Visit the Perito Moreno Glacier, a massive ice formation that’s constantly changing and absolutely breathtaking.
- Take a boat tour of Lake Argentino, where you can spot all sorts of wildlife, including flamingos and condors.
- Go horseback riding through the Patagonian countryside. It’s the perfect way to soak up the stunning views.
- Hike through the Andes Mountains and marvel at the epic landscapes. You’ll feel like you’re on top of the world (literally).
- Sample some of Argentina’s famous wines and cheeses. Trust us, you won’t be disappointed.
- Try your hand at fly fishing in one of the many rivers and streams that crisscross the region.
- Relax and unwind at one of El Calafate’s many spas. You deserve it.
- Get your tango on at one of the town’s many dance clubs. It’s a great way to let loose and have some fun.
- Go on a wildlife safari and spot all sorts of exotic animals, from guanacos to pumas.
- Take a boat ride to Estancia Cristina, a beautiful ranch where you can learn about the history and culture of Patagonia.
- Take a hot air balloon ride over the Andes and get a bird’s eye view of the stunning landscape. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience you won’t soon forget.
- Go birdwatching and try to spot some of the region’s rare and exotic species, such as the Andean condor and the Magellanic woodpecker.
- Visit the El Calafate Museum, where you can learn about the town’s history and culture. It’s a great way to get a feel for the place.
- Treat yourself to a gourmet meal at one of El Calafate’s many delicious restaurants. The local cuisine is to die for!
ConclusionAs you can see, there’s no shortage of absurdly amazing things to do in El Calafate, Argentina. So why wait? Pack your bags, book a ticket, and come see for yourself why this loveable, hilarious little town is one of the best places on earth to be. You won’t be disappointed!
Have you thought about staying in El Calafate for a little longer and working remotely? Here is another blog post about becoming a Digital Nomad in El Calafate
Did you like this post? Have a look at our other blog posts about living in Argentina, such as Mar Del Plata, Buenos Aires or Salta.